PHYSICIAN RECOMMENDATIONS (SB 643): There are several new provisions clarifying the duties of medical cannabis physicians; however, they don't substantially affect or impair patients' current access to medical recommendations.
• The Med Board's enforcement priorities are amended to include "Repeated acts of clearly excessive recommending of cannabis for medical purposes,or repeated acts of recommending without a good faith prior exam." (SB 643, ). This is identical to existing language regarding controlled substances, which has generally been assumed to apply to MMJ heretofore.
• It is unlawful for physicians who recommend to accept, solicit, or offer remuneration to or from a licensed facility in which they or a family member have a financial interest.
• The Med Board shall consult with the California Center for Medicinal Cannabis Research in developing medical guidelines for MJ recs.
• The recommending person shall be the patient's "attending physician" as defined in HSC (a). Contrary to popular misconception, this in nothing new and in no way limits patients to their primary care physician. It merely restates current language in SB 420.
• Physician ads must include a warning notice that MMJ is still a federal Schedule One substance.